Thursday, May 22, 2014

I'd Like An Interpreter, Please.

When someone comes into court, they have to sign in.  When they sign in, they fill out a paper with their name, address, phone number, etc., and then they give it to me.  I fill in their case number, and write what they are there for at the top of the page.  On the back of the page, they are supposed to read their rights and initial them, stating that they read and understand their rights.  One of these rights is the right to an interpreter.

And this is where our story begins.  One man came in the other day, and wanted an interpreter.  Since he was speaking English very well (like first language well), I was a little confused.  "An interpreter for what?"  I asked.

"So I can understand what's going on."

"But what language?"  At this point, I'm so confused.

"English.  I need someone to tell me what they mean."

And it all came together - by "interpreter," he meant someone to explain the legal proceedings to him.


But how great would it be if we could just request an interpreter?  So I'd like to formally put out my request for a life interpreter.

Any volunteers?



No comments:

Post a Comment