Sunday, June 1, 2014

I've Got A Coupon!!

This past week has been...interesting, to say the least.  It's been crazy busy, because it's the end of the month, but I've had my fair share of laughs this last week.

My favorite, though, is the tale of the coupon.  A woman came in to pay her ticket, and when I told her that it was $120, she pulled a coupon out of her purse and slid it under the window to me.  I picked it up and looked at it, and it said "1/2 Off Your Next Ticket."

When I explained to her that the courts don't give out coupons, she insisted that yes, they did.  It was published in the newspaper.  She ended up paying her whole ticket, and taking her coupon back.  And it left me feeling like Batman:


Another man came in, upset over his ticket.  He claimed that there was no speed limit sign, so he shouldn't have gotten a ticket.  I told him that all I could do was set up a Pre-trial Conference with the Judge and the Prosecutor, and he could discuss getting his ticket dismissed then.  He asked, "can't you just come and drive it with me so I can show you that there was no stop sign?"


Like there's any way I'm getting in a car with you, buddy.  I don't want to end up like this:


When I told him again that all I could do is set up a Pre-trial Conference with the Judge and Prosecutor, he said "Fine.  Do that."


Thanks for your approval, I guess?  He then stormed out after complaining about his court date (2 weeks away - which is actually pretty quick).  

And after dealing with that guy, one of the cops came in and said, "Yeah, turns out there's not actually a sign there anymore.  A drunk driver hit it a couple of days ago, and so it's gone right now."


Whoops!

But ultimately, I need people to just understand, that if I didn't write the ticket, and if I'm not wearing Judge's robes, I cannot make your ticket go away.

Unless you want to pay it.

But I appreciate that you think I have that power.







No comments:

Post a Comment